1) List at least 6 visual signifiers (objects) that are normally associated with the horror genre.
2) List other codes & conventions that are commonly used in horror films. e.g. sound? narrative aspects? character archetypes? camera/editing codes?
3) Choose another genre and list its repertoire of elements (common codes & conventions). Sci Fi/ Vampire/ Twilight Zone/ High School Romance/Fantasy
1) Which word does she use? 'Different and unexpected elements in a genre help to [deter/frighten/intrigue/ gratify] audiences'.
2) What is the effect of subverting ( undermining and disobeying) certain generic conventions? Give examples.
4) Give an example of a hybrid genre text you have come across. Describe which elements are pure and which are borrowed.
5) Give an example of a text that relies on the reinvention of an older form. Which elements are repeated and which are different?
6) Can we transfer genre ideas from TV/Film to other media platforms? e.g. what are the generic conventions of a) tabloid newspapers? b) online news sites c) magazine covers
Quotation from Neale: 'genres are instances of repetition and difference' (Neale 1980, 48). He adds that 'difference is absolutely essential to the economy of genre': mere repetition would not attract an audience.